Codapedia is now a division of Find-A-Code

Forum - Questions & Answers

Aug 28th, 2017 - dsmith 2 

Z79.4, Z79.84 or something else

When a patient is given a non-insulin injectable medication for diabetes, which ICD-10 code should be used? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 Votes - Sign in to vote or reply.
Oct 4th, 2017 - ChrisW   74  1 

re: Z79.4, Z79.84 or something else

Z79.4 is used for Long term (current) use of insulin, and used to describe the encounter of a patient that is currently using insulin and has been accustomed to taking it for an extended period.

Z79.84 – is used for Long term (current) use of oral hypoglycemic drugs.

If a procedure was performed it must also be reported such as the injection. The code selection would depend on the type of medication or drug and if it was being used long term. If so, refer to the list of Z79 Long term (current) drug therapy codes to ensure the most specific code selection. Code Z79.4 should not be assigned if insulin is given temporarily to bring a type 2 patient’s blood sugar under control during an encounter.

Without more information on the medication, it would be hard to advise, I would refer you to Find-A-Code’s WK Drug database for additional information. Neither of the two above codes seem to fit this scenario.

0 Votes - Sign in to vote or reply.

About Codapedia & Find-A-Code Contact Us Terms of Use Privacy Policy Advertise with Us

Codapedia™/Find-A-Code™ - 62 E 300 North, Spanish Fork, UT 84660 - Phone 801-770-4203 (9-5 Mountain) - Fax (801) 770-4428

Copyright © 2009-2018 Find A Code, LLC - CPT® copyright American Medical Association